Quantcast

how to get the signal strength in gr-ieee802-11

how to get the signal strength in gr-ieee802-11

zhan siyu
Hi all,

Sorry to bother you. Recently, I'm working with the gr-ieee802-11. I need to know the signal power strength of a packet received by usrp. I mean, not the rx_gain variable of course. Is there any api in the gr-ieee802-11 ? Or how can I do ?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Best Regards.

Siyu

Re: how to get the signal strength in gr-ieee802-11

Marcus Müller-3

Hi Siyu,

what does "signal strength" mean to you? If you mean the "62%" or whatever network card drivers display, these values are, as far as I can tell, a combination of bit error rates, detected collisions and missed packets, as well as occult rituals and random numbers. They basically mean nothing.

If you mean "dBm", bad news, the SDR devices you can use with gr-ieee802-11 are *not* calibrated measurement equipment, so that's info that you can't extract without building a calibration setup first.

Best regards,
Marcus