Quantcast

Tagged Stream Blocks with HackRF

Florian Adamsky
Dear all,

I have problems to get the example "wifi_tx.grc" from gr-ieee802-11 [1]
to work with my HackRF device. In the example, I just replaced the USRP
sink with the osmocom sink and tried to run it. I always get underrun
errors:

,----
| Executing: /usr/bin/python2 -u /home/cit/Dojo/sdr/wifi_tx/wifi_tx.py
|
| linux; GNU C++ version 6.3.1 20170306; Boost_106300; UHD_003.010.001.001-0-unknown
|
| MAPPER: encoding: 0
| set_min_output_buffer on block 9 to 397056
| set_min_output_buffer on block 11 to 397056
| set_min_output_buffer on block 13 to 397056
| set_min_output_buffer on block 14 to 397056
| set_min_output_buffer on block 16 to 397056
| gr-osmosdr 0.1.4 (0.1.4) gnuradio 3.7.11
| built-in sink types: uhd hackrf bladerf
| Using HackRF One with firmware 2017.02.1
| set_min_output_buffer on block 28 to 96000
| set_min_output_buffer on block 31 to 100000
| UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
`----

I tried the above mentioned example with GNU Radio 3.7.11 and 3.7.9 on
two different computers with the same result. I also tried the latest
gr-osmosdr v0.1.4-91-gcf954948 version but without any luck. I'm also
using the latest firmware (2017.12.01) of my HackRF device.

I asked [2] Bastian Bloessel, the author of gr-ieee802-11, but it seems
like it is a general problems with tagged stream blocks and my HackRF
device. As he mentioned, I created a simple GNU radio file like the
following:

Message Strobe -> Random PDU -> PDU to Tagged Streams -> Osmocom Sink

Also in this example, I get a lot of underrun errors. Does anyone have
an idea what might be the problem?

GNU Radio Version: 3.7.11 and 3.7.9
HackRF Kernel Module: 4.10.13-1-ARCH
Gr-osmosdr: 0.1.4 and v0.1.4-91-gcf954948

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

Links:
[1] https://github.com/bastibl/gr-ieee802-11
[2] https://github.com/bastibl/gr-ieee802-11/issues/77
--
Dr. Florian Adamsky
http://florian.adamsky.it/

Re: Tagged Stream Blocks with HackRF

Sylvain Munaut-2
The hackrf driver has no support for burst transmissions.

Cheers,

   Sylvain

On Tuesday, May 16 2017, Sylvain Munaut wrote:

> The hackrf driver has no support for burst transmissions.

thanks! Do you know if there is someone working on it? Is there some way
to work around this restrictions? Which other SDR support this feature?
BladeRF maybe?

Cheers
--
Dr. Florian Adamsky
http://florian.adamsky.it/

Re: Tagged Stream Blocks with HackRF

sreeraj r
You could give SoapyHackRF [1] a try. From the discussions [2-4] it looks like the Tx/Rx switching is fixed, allowing to put a source and sink block simultaneously in a flowgraph.  The device can switch to RX mode once the burst transmission is done. I am not sure about the Tx/Rx switching timing issues/whether libhackrf makes sure that the entire packet is transmitted or not.  You could also pad your packets with enough zeros to make sure that the packet gets transmitted (Bastian's gr-foo [5] modules will be helpful).

[1] https://github.com/pothosware/SoapyHackRF/wiki
[2] https://github.com/pothosware/SoapySDR/issues/34
[3] https://github.com/mossmann/hackrf/issues/221
[4] https://github.com/mossmann/hackrf/issues/195