Quantcast

Saving float values in a file

Ayan Chatterjee
Hi,

How can float values be saved in a file from some gnu radio block?

Thanks.

Regards,
Ayan

Re: Saving float values in a file

Moritz Luca Schmid

Hi Ayan,

you can use the gr block "file sink". It writes your stream (you can select float as data type) to a binary file.

Just connect the file sink block to the gnuradio block, you want to record the data from.

Best

Luca

On 16.05.2017 15:17, Ayan Chatterjee wrote:
Hi,

How can float values be saved in a file from some gnu radio block?

Thanks.

Regards,
Ayan

Re: Saving float values in a file

Moritz Luca Schmid

First of all it is saved as binary data. If you can interpret this data as float, depends on the editor/viewer you use.

I am sure you find some hex editors (e.g. Free Hex Editor Neo) which are capable of a float interpretation.

Luca

On 16.05.2017 15:24, Ayan Chatterjee wrote:
Can I then display the data in float format from the file?

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 6:51 PM, Moritz Luca Schmid <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Ayan,

you can use the gr block "file sink". It writes your stream (you can select float as data type) to a binary file.

Just connect the file sink block to the gnuradio block, you want to record the data from.

Best

Luca

On 16.05.2017 15:17, Ayan Chatterjee wrote:
Hi,

How can float values be saved in a file from some gnu radio block?

Thanks.

Regards,
Ayan

Re: Saving float values in a file

Marcus Müller-3

Yes. Using basically any software you like, as long as it can read raw binary files. Also see the relevant FAQ entry:

https://wiki.gnuradio.org/index.php/FAQ#What_is_the_file_format_of_a_file_sink.3F_How_can_I_read_files_produced_by_a_file_sink.3F

also, for quick, and dirty (read: not good enough for using it in a paper or thesis, but good enough to get a feeling) visualization, GNU Radio comes with a lot of small programs that all start with gr_plot_*

Note that you can also simply read the same data within GNU Radio using a file source -> Throttle -> QT GUI * Sink.

This all reads very much like you haven't gone through the tutorials! I think reading the first few chapters of

http://tutorials.gnuradio.org

might help you get a feeling.

Best regards,

Marcus