Quantcast

Problem with Wx Gui FFT

12

Problem with Wx Gui FFT

maiconkist
Hi,

recently I upgraded my PC to Ubuntu 13.04. After that, I also updated the GNU Radio + UHD installation. Almost everything is working. A problem that appeared is that the Wx Gui FFT is not showing the chart.

As is said: an image is worth a thousand words. So I attached the uhd_fft execution.

Any sugestions? I'm missing a compiling parameter or something?

Re: Problem with Wx Gui FFT

Alexandru Csete
On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 5:27 PM, maiconkist <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> recently I upgraded my PC to Ubuntu 13.04. After that, I also updated the
> GNU Radio + UHD installation. Almost everything is working. A problem that
> appeared is that the Wx Gui FFT is not showing the chart.
>
> As is said: an image is worth a thousand words. So I attached the uhd_fft
> execution.
>
> Any sugestions? I'm missing a compiling parameter or something?
>
> <http://gnuradio.4.n7.nabble.com/file/n41275/gnuradio.jpg>

I had the same problem on computers with Nvidia and AMD/ATI cards
using the open source driver. Apparently, the open source driver has
forgotten how to do opengl. I managed to find a closed source driver
which gave me flickering wxgui FFT, but that's all.

Alex

Re: Problem with Wx Gui FFT

Mike Jameson-2
Hi,

I'm having the same trouble on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS x64 after playing with the AMD/ATI drivers.

The quick solution is to add the following to ~/.gnuradio/config.conf :

[wxgui]
style=nongl

Regards,

Mike

--
Mike Jameson M0MIK BSc MIET
Email: [hidden email]

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 4:52 PM, Alexandru Csete <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 5:27 PM, maiconkist <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> recently I upgraded my PC to Ubuntu 13.04. After that, I also updated the
> GNU Radio + UHD installation. Almost everything is working. A problem that
> appeared is that the Wx Gui FFT is not showing the chart.
>
> As is said: an image is worth a thousand words. So I attached the uhd_fft
> execution.
>
> Any sugestions? I'm missing a compiling parameter or something?
>
> <http://gnuradio.4.n7.nabble.com/file/n41275/gnuradio.jpg>

I had the same problem on computers with Nvidia and AMD/ATI cards
using the open source driver. Apparently, the open source driver has
forgotten how to do opengl. I managed to find a closed source driver
which gave me flickering wxgui FFT, but that's all.

Alex

Re: Problem with Wx Gui FFT

Marcus D. Leech
> Hi,
>
> I'm having the same trouble on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS x64 after playing with
> the AMD/ATI drivers.
>
> The quick solution is to add the following to ~/.gnuradio/config.conf :
>
> [wxgui]
> style=nongl
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike
Note that you lose some functionality when going to the non-gl versions
of wxGui.  Including waterfall displays, and the "click to X" stuff that's
   available on the openGL side.

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator

Re: Problem with Wx Gui FFT

maiconkist
Hi Mike,

thank for you reply. But with this option the uhd_fft crashes. The following is thrown in the terminal: AttributeError: 'gr_hier_block2_sptr' object has no attribute 'set_callback'

More info about my machine: Ubuntu 13.04 with KDE and a Intel i915 graphics card.

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 4:52 PM, Alexandru Csete <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 5:27 PM, maiconkist <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > recently I upgraded my PC to Ubuntu 13.04. After that, I also updated the
> > GNU Radio + UHD installation. Almost everything is working. A problem
> that
> > appeared is that the Wx Gui FFT is not showing the chart.
> >
> > As is said: an image is worth a thousand words. So I attached the uhd_fft
> > execution.
> >
> > Any sugestions? I'm missing a compiling parameter or something?
> >
> > <http://gnuradio.4.n7.nabble.com/file/n41275/gnuradio.jpg>
> >

> I had the same problem on computers with Nvidia and AMD/ATI cards
> using the open source driver. Apparently, the open source driver has
> forgotten how to do opengl. I managed to find a closed source driver
> which gave me flickering wxgui FFT, but that's all.
>
> Alex

Re: Problem with Wx Gui FFT

Marcus D. Leech
> Hi Mike,
>
> thank for you reply. But with this option the uhd_fft crashes. The following
> is thrown in the terminal: AttributeError: 'gr_hier_block2_sptr' object has
> no attribute 'set_callback'
>
> More info about my machine: Ubuntu 13.04 with KDE and a Intel i915 graphics
> card.

That would mean that you're running a Gnu Radio that is out of date by a
couple of months.

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator
Shirleys Bay Radio Astronomy Consortium
http://www.sbrac.org

Re: Problem with Wx Gui FFT

Mike Jameson-2

I believe that error is due to me experimenting with the uhd_fft 'click on fft to change frequency' feature.  Are you using the current master branch as this contains Marcus Leech's fix for it.

Cheers,

Mike

--
Mike Jameson M0MIK BSc MIET
Email: [hidden email]

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 4:52 PM, Alexandru Csete &lt;oz9aec@&gt; wrote:

> On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 5:27 PM, maiconkist &lt;maiconkist@&gt; wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > recently I upgraded my PC to Ubuntu 13.04. After that, I also updated
> the
> > GNU Radio + UHD installation. Almost everything is working. A problem
> that
> > appeared is that the Wx Gui FFT is not showing the chart.
> >
> > As is said: an image is worth a thousand words. So I attached the
> uhd_fft
> > execution.
> >
> > Any sugestions? I'm missing a compiling parameter or something?
> >
> > &lt;http://gnuradio.4.n7.nabble.com/file/n41275/gnuradio.jpg&gt;
> >

> I had the same problem on computers with Nvidia and AMD/ATI cards
> using the open source driver. Apparently, the open source driver has
> forgotten how to do opengl. I managed to find a closed source driver
> which gave me flickering wxgui FFT, but that's all.
>
> Alex

Re: Problem with Wx Gui FFT

maiconkist
This post was updated on .
Marcus,

I downloaded and compiled it directly from the official git repository. More precisely, version 3.6.4.1 is installed.

Thanks

Re: Problem with Wx Gui FFT

maiconkist
Hi Mike,

I recompiled the source today again. The problem continues.

The builddate is: Mon, 13 May 2013 13:37:52

Is worth recompiling again?

Thanks

Re: Problem with Wx Gui FFT

Johnathan Corgan-3
On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 2:01 AM, Mike Jameson <[hidden email]> wrote:

I'm having the same trouble on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS x64 after playing with the AMD/ATI drivers.

The quick solution is to add the following to ~/.gnuradio/config.conf :

[wxgui]
style=nongl

This works, but the non-GL sinks are terribly out-of-date, and the only reason we haven't removed them from the codebase is that they provide this important fallback when OpenGL is not working on a user's machine.

I'd like to understand more about the actual problem--I only use 12.04 and 12.10 so I can't duplicate it.

--
Johnathan Corgan
Corgan Labs - SDR Training and Development Services

Re: Problem with Wx Gui FFT

Marcus D. Leech
On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 2:01 AM, Mike Jameson <[hidden email]> wrote:

I'm having the same trouble on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS x64 after playing with the AMD/ATI drivers.

The quick solution is to add the following to ~/.gnuradio/config.conf :

[wxgui]
style=nongl

This works, but the non-GL sinks are terribly out-of-date, and the only reason we haven't removed them from the codebase is that they provide this important fallback when OpenGL is not working on a user's machine.

I'd like to understand more about the actual problem--I only use 12.04 and 12.10 so I can't duplicate it.

--
Johnathan Corgan
Corgan Labs - SDR Training and Development Services
http://corganlabs.com
The reported error should have been fixed in:

commit 50d9b3282ae65b7cf6bf007ab8f32b4ae7cc3ed1

The problem is that if you have an app that makes use of the "set_callback" feature, prior to that commit, it would provoke an exception if you were
  using the non-gl implementations of the FFT GUI sink for wxGUI, because the non-gl version didn't have the necessary "set_callback()" method.

On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 4:48 AM, Marcus D. Leech <[hidden email]> wrote:

The reported error should have been fixed in:

commit 50d9b3282ae65b7cf6bf007ab8f32b4ae7cc3ed1

The problem is that if you have an app that makes use of the "set_callback" feature, prior to that commit, it would provoke an exception if you were
  using the non-gl implementations of the FFT GUI sink for wxGUI, because the non-gl version didn't have the necessary "set_callback()" method.

I get this part, thanks.  I'm interested in understanding the "flickering FFT" problem with the GL-based sinks after upgrading to 13.04.  It's the second time it's been reported on the list.

[...]

Oh, well, for *that* I have no clue :)

GL is a festering swamp, as are display drivers.  But I guess this boils down to "what part of the festering swamp do we need to look at, and are
  we provoking it?"

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator
Shirleys Bay Radio Astronomy Consortium
http://www.sbrac.org

Re: Problem with Wx Gui FFT

Patrik Tast-2
I wonder if in gnuradio/gr-wxgui/scr/python/plotter/plotter_base.py the attribList could be checked?
static bool IsDisplaySupported(const int *attribList)
http://docs.wxwidgets.org/trunk/classwx_g_l_canvas.html

Patrik

Re: Problem with Wx Gui FFT

maiconkist
I recompiled all again last night. Build version 3.6.4.1-203-g0641a449. The problem continues.

The suggestion with the '[wxwidgets] style=nongl' didn't work for me.

OpenGL is working fine here. All 3D desktop effects works and glxgear runs fine.

Any clue about this problem ?

Re: Problem with Wx Gui FFT

Marcus D. Leech

On 14 May 2013 10:08, maiconkist wrote:

I recompiled all again last night. Build version 3.6.4.1-203-g0641a449. The
problem continues.

The suggestion with the '[wxwidgets] style=nongl' didn't work for me.

OpenGL is working fine here. All 3D desktop effects works and glxgear runs
fine.

Any clue about this problem ?

Do you perhaps *also* have an installed-from-packaged-binaries Gnu Radio installation?

Re: Problem with Wx Gui FFT

maiconkist
Hi Marcus,

double checked this, gnuradio from repository is not installed.

I notifice that when I click the close button in the uhd_fft window, for an instant the FFT plot is shown.

Thanks.

Re: Problem with Wx Gui FFT

Patrik Tast-2
I'm not sure but shouldn't the category be [wxgui] and not [wxwidgets] in ~/.gnuradio/config.conf?
see in your gnuradio/gr-wxgui directory the readme's

From the command line you can lower the fft-rate and increase the avg-alpha, example
$ uhd_fft --fft-rate=10 --avg-alpha=0.3 etc
Increase the fft-rate until your window become unresponsive

Patrik
--
Best Regards,
Patrik Tast

POES-Weather Ab Ltd Remote Sensing
Business id: FI 23624190
CEO Patrik Tast
GSM: +358 40 833 11 70
Street address: Furuskogsvägen 89
Postal code: 65280
City: Vasa
Country: Finland
Web: poes-weather.com

Re: Problem with Wx Gui FFT

maiconkist
Hi Patrick,

my mistake, the correct is 'wxgui', as you said.

This solved my problem. Yesterday I cloned and compiled the gnuradio sources by myself, instead of using the script provided by in the official site. I notice that the script doesn't compile the master branch. The script did a checkout in the "maint" branch. Probably the problem was not fixed in this branch yet.

Confirming the solution then:

Put this in the "~/.gnuradio/config.conf" file:

[wxgui]
style=nongl

Thanks everybody .

Re: Problem with Wx Gui FFT

Marcus D. Leech

On 14 May 2013 11:29, maiconkist wrote:

Hi Patrick,

my mistake, the correct is 'wxgui', as you said.

This solved my problem. Yesterday I cloned and compiled the gnuradio sources
by myself, instead of using the script provided by in the official site. I
notice that the script doesn't compile the master branch. The script did a
checkout in the "maint" branch. Probably the problem was not fixed in this
branch yet.

Confirming the solution then:

Put this in the "~/.gnuradio/config.conf" file:

[wxgui]
style=nongl

Thanks everybody .

You can use the "-m" option on build-gnuradio now to cause it to use "master" instead of "maint".

I'm surprised that my fix for the  set_callback() problem wasn't propagated to "maint" -- it went into "master" some time ago.

12