Quantcast

OSCAL'17 report, amateur HF reception blog

OSCAL'17 report, amateur HF reception blog

Daniel Pocock

Hi all,

The workshop at OSCAL[1] was successful and on the second day, the SDR
setup was in the courtyard with the info booths where just about
everybody stopped to see it.

I've written a detailed blog[2] about the equipment I used (antenna,
balun, ATU, upconverter, dongle, etc) so anybody else can easily
replicate this either at home or at other events.

Thanks to everybody who has contributed to the development and packaging
of the tools used in the demo (gqrx, GNU Radio, rtl-sdr)

At one point I wanted to take my laptop away and somebody else
volunteered a laptop with Windows on it.  The Debian Hams live ISO image
was downloaded onto a USB stick, booted up in the other laptop and
worked immediately.

Regards,

Daniel

1. https://oscal.openlabs.cc
2. https://danielpocock.com/building-loop-antenna-sdr-shortwave-ham-oscal17

Re: OSCAL'17 report, amateur HF reception blog

Ralph A. Schmid, dk5ras
Tirana, Albania? WTF?!

Cool, I really love it that you were able to have this workshop! Congrats!!!
I did not know that there is such an active community, wish I would hear
more of such promising events from other then the "standard" countries :)

Ralph, dk5ras.

On 19/05/17 13:39, Ralph A. Schmid, dk5ras wrote:
> Tirana, Albania? WTF?!
>
> Cool, I really love it that you were able to have this workshop! Congrats!!!
> I did not know that there is such an active community, wish I would hear
> more of such promising events from other then the "standard" countries :)
>
> Ralph, dk5ras.

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for your reply, if you would like to propose a talk, workshop or
table at OSCAL next year I'm sure the team would love to hear from you.

While I understand not so many people have visited Tirana before, the
conference was one of the most well organized free software events I've
been to and the team are very dedicated.  In fact, they are already
organizing another event this weekend, an Open Data Hackathon, they are
unstoppable.

Regards,

Daniel