Quantcast

Introduction to Pre-Cog

John Malsbury
Hi everyone,

After a few requests, I have cleaned up my pre-cog library a bit for general use.  For those who are not familiar, this is a library of rudimentary MAC layer functions that uses Josh Blum's gr-extras.  Here are the current features:
  • Uses python block writing capability of gr-extras
  • Uses "blobs" from gr-extras
  • simple_mac with ARQ and radio addressing
  • TDMA, FHSS and other blocks
  • A couple of blocks that are useful for debugging
Currently, I have provided a simple example called "simple_trx".  This implements a full-duplex or half-duplex, random access link with ARQ between one or more radios.  You can transfer data to and from the appliction through a TCP/IP interface.  If you replace the socket_msg block with the gr-extras tun/tap block, you can mirror the functionality of tunnel.py.  Or you can put any other arbitrary data sink/source.

Examples that use the TDMA and FHSS will be coming soon...

Youtube Video (sorry audio is pretty low): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8emQ-TvD90
Github Repo: https://github.com/buoyboy/pre-cog
Wiki: https://github.com/buoyboy/pre-cog/wiki

Looking for thoughts, feedback, and ideas.  [and of course, bug reports]

Best Regards,
John Malsbury

PS - It's called pre-cog, because I think this is an experimental.  My expectation is that we'll apply lessons learned with this to a more permanent solution.

Re: Introduction to Pre-Cog

Iain Young, G7III
Hi John,

You Wrote:

> Looking for thoughts, feedback, and ideas. [and of course, bug reports]

I just very quickly installed gr-precog under gnuradio-3.6.2. Installed
fine, but when starting grc, I noticed the following:

It seems that after installation, quite a lot of the sinks and
sources are missing. In some case there are equivalents in gr-extras,
so no biggie (Noise, Signal etc), but some others def disappear
entirely, null comes to mind. An uninstall and re-install of 3.6.2,
and they all appear again.

Unfortunately, I don't have time this evening to play further this
evening as I have a prior engagement, but will certainly be
experimenting later in the week.

Also very much looking forward to FEC and CSMA developments in
the future. Just ebing able to get arbitary data in and out of
a flow graph, and have gnuradio handle the MAC and PHY bits is
really useful and powerful, so Thanks to both you and Josh

Iain

Re: Introduction to Pre-Cog

John Malsbury
Iain,