Quantcast

Implications of continuously un/muting tx stream

Implications of continuously un/muting tx stream

Santos Campos
Hello!

I'm trying to make a relay with a very long time division (rx for X seconds, tx for X seconds, repeat).

Attached is my block diagram implementation. It's a bit cheeky, but it works (for just raw signal, no demodulation). Anyway, the flow graph's behavior works on my laptop, but my goal is to have it on a smaller embedded system (an Odroid XU4 running lubuntu 14.04, which actually has a more badass processor than my laptop).
(Additional info: Ettus B200, running over usb 3 port, XU4 uP: 8 core[4 @ 4GHz, 4 ])

Moving the same flow graph to my odroid stops working after ~10 rx/tx switches. the tx/rx LEDs on the board stop lighting and there's no console error thrown, so it's a bit hard to track down.

Isolating just receive (replaced usrp sink with null source) works with expected behavior, but Isolating the transmit (replaced usrp source with noise source) throws the error:
Got a ctrl packet with unknown SID....
which leads me to believe that muting and un-muting the transmit stream has some un-intended software implications.

Currently my only thought is to re-write my own valve block to replace the deprecated valve, but I was wondering if any of the experts here on the mailing list could enlighten me to what under-the-hood stuff I'm breaking.

Thanks and, as always, any help would be much appreciated!
~Santos

--
/*
Santos Campos

relay.png (77K) Download Attachment

Re: Implications of continuously un/muting tx stream

Cinaed Simson
On 05/12/2017 01:07 PM, Santos Campos wrote:
> (Additional info: Ettus B200, running over usb 3 port, XU4 uP: 8 core[4
> @ 4GHz, 4 ])

Actually, odroid-XU4 is a heterogeneous octa core with one quad running
1.7 GHz and the other quad running at 2 GHz. And comes with 2 Gbytes of
RAM and a USB 3 controller.

> --
> /*
> Santos Campos
> University of Michigan '17 | B.S.E. Computer Engineering
> Virtual EM Inc. | Wireless Communications Intern
> santosecampos.com <http://santosecampos.com>
> */

Re: Implications of continuously un/muting tx stream

Murray Thomson
Have you tried without the throttle block? With that source I don't think you need one.

On 12 May 2017 at 22:33, Cinaed Simson <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 05/12/2017 01:07 PM, Santos Campos wrote:
> (Additional info: Ettus B200, running over usb 3 port, XU4 uP: 8 core[4
> @ 4GHz, 4 ])

Actually, odroid-XU4 is a heterogeneous octa core with one quad running
1.7 GHz and the other quad running at 2 GHz. And comes with 2 Gbytes of
RAM and a USB 3 controller.

> --
> /*
> Santos Campos
> University of Michigan '17 | B.S.E. Computer Engineering
> Virtual EM Inc. | Wireless Communications Intern
> santosecampos.com <http://santosecampos.com>
> */

Re: Implications of continuously un/muting tx stream

Marcus Müller-3

confirming this. NEVER use Throttle with a hardware block – that's why GRC will actually warn you not to do that if you add a Throttle block to a flow graph that contains a block that's marked as hardware block.

Cheers,

Marcus