Quantcast

IEEE802.11 transceiver - problems sending data

IEEE802.11 transceiver - problems sending data

Cristian Rodríguez
Hi all.

I'm trying to run the file nic.sh (app for the transceiver flowgraph in gnuradio) as in this youtube video of Bastian, but i can run it at all.

I have:
  • USRP B210
  • i7 4710HQ, 12 Gb RAM, USB 3.0.
  • Ubuntu 16.04.2
I'm doing

I understand the proof as:

Imágenes integradas 5

Then i just would have to reconfigure my PC MAC in the nic.sh file and flowgraph, put a channel in the 2GHz band, set 20 Msamples/s and run it.

It is the main part of nic.sh file. I just changed my MAC and assigned the 192.168.123.2 IP. The other is the same of i got in Github.

Imágenes integradas 3

I did the same in the flowgraph (just in this WIFI MAC block).

Imágenes integradas 6

Thus. I run the app by the terminal... ./nic.sh.

Later, i open another terminal and type ssh 192.168.123.2, and it doesn't work as in the video. Then i check wireshark and it is that happens. I'm receiving the petition of a TCP port but it for any reason is not working. In this way i can't connect from the USRP B210 to my pc. I think my PC is not answering the petition or something like that.

Imágenes integradas 1

The MACs are as supposed (i Checked it in wireshark)
Imágenes integradas 2

Thanks in advance for the time to read it.

Best regards,

Cristian

Re: IEEE802.11 transceiver - problems sending data

Bastian Bloessl-3
Hi,

this is a rather complex setup. I would not immediately run SSH, but start with a simple ping (test GNU Radio and the WiFi card as senders). Try to see what works and what goes wrong, for example, ARP (in both directions) or routing.

IIRC, the script just sets up ARP in one direction (from the SDR to the WiFi card). You will have to also add the corresponding entry in reverse direction. It’s not in the script since I always used the WiFi card of another PC.

Then use Wireshark to monitor GNU Radio (that’s what you might do at the moment) and also the WiFi card. This might help to understand what frames are actually sent, if they are OK (MAC, IP, BSS) and if they are successfully received by the WiFi card and the SDR.

(Also make sure that an SSH server is actually running.)

There are a lot of things that can go wrong in this setup. You should try to narrow it down a bit. Once you have a more specific problem, it might be easier to help.

Best,
Bastian

> On 16. May 2017, at 16:57, Cristian Rodríguez <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all.
>
> I'm trying to run the file nic.sh (app for the transceiver flowgraph in gnuradio) as in this youtube video of Bastian, but i can run it at all.
>
> I have:
> • USRP B210
> • i7 4710HQ, 12 Gb RAM, USB 3.0.
> • Ubuntu 16.04.2
> I'm doing
>
> I understand the proof as:
>
> <image.png>
>
> Then i just would have to reconfigure my PC MAC in the nic.sh file and flowgraph, put a channel in the 2GHz band, set 20 Msamples/s and run it.
>
> It is the main part of nic.sh file. I just changed my MAC and assigned the 192.168.123.2 IP. The other is the same of i got in Github.
>
> <image.png>
>
> I did the same in the flowgraph (just in this WIFI MAC block).
>
> <image.png>
>
> Thus. I run the app by the terminal... ./nic.sh.
>
> Later, i open another terminal and type ssh 192.168.123.2, and it doesn't work as in the video. Then i check wireshark and it is that happens. I'm receiving the petition of a TCP port but it for any reason is not working. In this way i can't connect from the USRP B210 to my pc. I think my PC is not answering the petition or something like that.
>
> <image.png>
>
> The MACs are as supposed (i Checked it in wireshark)
> <image.png>
>
> Thanks in advance for the time to read it.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Cristian

Re: IEEE802.11 transceiver - problems sending data

Cristian Rodríguez

this is a rather complex setup. I would not immediately run SSH, but start with a simple ping (test GNU Radio and the WiFi card as senders). Try to see what works and what goes wrong, for example, ARP (in both directions) or routing.

Hi Bastian.

THanks a lot for your answer.

IIRC, the script just sets up ARP in one direction (from the SDR to the WiFi card). You will have to also add the corresponding entry in reverse direction. It’s not in the script since I always used the WiFi card of another PC.
I did that as follows:

 ### config wifi card interface (wlp4s0)

sudo ifconfig wlp4s0 down
sudo ifconfig wlp4s0 mtu 440
sudo ifconfig wlp4s0 up
sudo ifconfig wlp4s0 192.168.123.2

sudo route del -net 192.168.123.0/24
sudo route add -net 192.168.123.0/24 mss 400 dev wlp4s0

sudo tc qdisc del dev wlp4s0 root
sudo tc qdisc add dev wlp4s0 root netem delay 10ms

sudo arp -s 192.168.123.1 12:34:56:78:90:ab -i wlp4s0

Then use Wireshark to monitor GNU Radio (that’s what you might do at the moment) and also the WiFi card. This might help to understand what frames are actually sent, if they are OK (MAC, IP, BSS) and if they are successfully received by the WiFi card and the SDR.
If i do a ping from the interface tap0 to 192.168.123.2 (IP of my wifi card) it doesn't work. The signal is going out of the USRP but the Wifi Card of the computer is not taking it.

ping -I tap0 192.168.123.2

If i do a ping from the interface wlp4s0 to 192.168.123.1 (IP of USRP B210) it doesn't work. The signal is NOT going out of the Wifi card (i verifed that through wireshark).

ping -I wlp4s0 192.168.123.1

I append the file nic.sh that i modifed.

When i run arp -a and route, the two modules (USRP and Wifi card) appear correctly in each other interface. And in the route, the router for both interfaces is 192.168.123.0.

(Also make sure that an SSH server is actually running.)

It is running.

There are a lot of things that can go wrong in this setup. You should try to narrow it down a bit. Once you have a more specific problem, it might be easier to help.
Then, now i have two interfaces in the same computer.

tap0: USRP B210
wlp4s0: Wifi card

I defined in each one an static IP and in TAP0 a MAC. In general, the elements defined in tap0 are too in wlp4s0.

I'm doing a PING at the moment.

On the other hand, Could you please share me the config file that you used for you computer? I've done a lot of different proofs but i don't understand why my wifi card doesn't receive or send anything..

Thanks a lot for your help.

Best regards,

Cristian

> On 16. May 2017, at 16:57, Cristian Rodríguez <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all.
>
> I'm trying to run the file nic.sh (app for the transceiver flowgraph in gnuradio) as in this youtube video of Bastian, but i can run it at all.
>
> I have:
>       • USRP B210
>       • i7 4710HQ, 12 Gb RAM, USB 3.0.
>       • Ubuntu 16.04.2
> I'm doing
>
> I understand the proof as:
>
> <image.png>
>
> Then i just would have to reconfigure my PC MAC in the nic.sh file and flowgraph, put a channel in the 2GHz band, set 20 Msamples/s and run it.
>
> It is the main part of nic.sh file. I just changed my MAC and assigned the 192.168.123.2 IP. The other is the same of i got in Github.
>
> <image.png>
>
> I did the same in the flowgraph (just in this WIFI MAC block).
>
> <image.png>
>
> Thus. I run the app by the terminal... ./nic.sh.
>
> Later, i open another terminal and type ssh 192.168.123.2, and it doesn't work as in the video. Then i check wireshark and it is that happens. I'm receiving the petition of a TCP port but it for any reason is not working. In this way i can't connect from the USRP B210 to my pc. I think my PC is not answering the petition or something like that.
>
> <image.png>
>
> The MACs are as supposed (i Checked it in wireshark)
> <image.png>
>
> Thanks in advance for the time to read it.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Cristian

Re: IEEE802.11 transceiver - problems sending data

Bastian Bloessl-3
Hi,

> On 19. May 2017, at 12:09, Cristian Rodríguez <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>  You will have to also add the corresponding entry in reverse direction. It’s not in the script since I always used the WiFi card of another PC.

> I did that as follows:
>
> sudo arp -s 192.168.123.1 12:34:56:78:90:ab -i wlp4s0

So you just set up one ARP entry.

> Then use Wireshark to monitor GNU Radio (that’s what you might do at the moment) and also the WiFi card. This might help to understand what frames are actually sent, if they are OK (MAC, IP, BSS) and if they are successfully received by the WiFi card and the SDR.
> If i do a ping from the interface tap0 to 192.168.123.2 (IP of my wifi card) it doesn't work. The signal is going out of the USRP but the Wifi Card of the computer is not taking it.
>
> ping -I tap0 192.168.123.2
>
> If i do a ping from the interface wlp4s0 to 192.168.123.1 (IP of USRP B210) it doesn't work. The signal is NOT going out of the Wifi card (i verifed that through wireshark).
>
> ping -I wlp4s0 192.168.123.1

As I said, you will have to actually look at the frame (BSS, MAC, IP, …) and see if the fields are OK. Also put the receiver in monitor mode to check if the packet is actually received. It’s a configuration issue and you will have to find out where in the network stack it gets dropped.

Best,
Bastian

Fwd: IEEE802.11 transceiver - problems sending data

Cristian Rodríguez

> On 19. May 2017, at 12:09, Cristian Rodríguez <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>  You will have to also add the corresponding entry in reverse direction. It’s not in the script since I always used the WiFi card of another PC.

> I did that as follows:
>
> sudo arp -s 192.168.123.1 12:34:56:78:90:ab -i wlp4s0

So you just set up one ARP entry.

> Then use Wireshark to monitor GNU Radio (that’s what you might do at the moment) and also the WiFi card. This might help to understand what frames are actually sent, if they are OK (MAC, IP, BSS) and if they are successfully received by the WiFi card and the SDR.
> If i do a ping from the interface tap0 to 192.168.123.2 (IP of my wifi card) it doesn't work. The signal is going out of the USRP but the Wifi Card of the computer is not taking it.
>
> ping -I tap0 192.168.123.2
>
> If i do a ping from the interface wlp4s0 to 192.168.123.1 (IP of USRP B210) it doesn't work. The signal is NOT going out of the Wifi card (i verifed that through wireshark).
>
> ping -I wlp4s0 192.168.123.1

As I said, you will have to actually look at the frame (BSS, MAC, IP, …) and see if the fields are OK. Also put the receiver in monitor mode to check if the packet is actually received. It’s a configuration issue and you will have to find out where in the network stack it gets dropped.

I've tried to solve the trouble the whole week. I don't think my computer is able to support the communication between its Wifi card and the USRP B210. When i do a Ping from the USRP to the wifi card (in monitor mode), and it receives the ping, it stops working and in the terminal which is executing the app nic.sh appear ether type: IP. In the wireshark file for the side of Tx, it clearly have stoped working. I've tried to solve it, but i don't think is a configuration problem.

On the other side, i got a computer and i'm try to communicate to it. When i configure Monitor mode i can get packages.

What interface Mode do you think i should use? Ad-hoc or managed?

I've tried both but for me it doesn't work.

I've checked the frame and it looks as supposed. It shows the MAC of the PC which is receiving, the MAC associated to the USRP and the common flags.

I think it is a problem in the configuration file in the PC which is receiving.
In that PC i'm doing the next:

Turn off the interface:
sudo ifconfig wlp2s0 down
Set the mode
sudo iwconfig wlp2s0 mode monitor/managed
Turn on the interface:
sudo ifconfig wlp2s0 up
Set in the channel that USRP is going to send
sudo iw dev wlp2s0 set freq 2472
Assign an IP in the network, the USRP is .1
sudo ifconfig wlp2s0 192.168.123.2
Modify the kernel's IPv4 network
sudo route add -net 192.168.123.0/24 wlp2s0
Set a static route
sudo arp -s 192.168.123.1 12:34:56:78:90:ab -i wlp2s0

All the commands work, i checked with iwconfig, ifconfig, route, arp -a

arp -a
? (192.168.123.1) at 12:34:56:78:90:ab [ether] PERM on wlp2s0

route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
192.168.123.0   *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 wlp2s0

ifconfig
wlp2s0    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr e0:ca:94:68:06:a7
          inet addr:192.168.123.2  Bcast:192.168.123.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1

iwconfig
wlp2s0    IEEE 802.11  ESSID:off/any
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.462 GHz  Access Point: Not-Associated
          Retry short limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:on

Then i don't catch the problem.

Finally, May you share to me the configuration file that you used when you configure your PC in these experiments?

Really, thanks a lot for your time.

Best regards,

Cristian

Best,
Bastian

> [...]

ifconfig
wlp2s0    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr e0:ca:94:68:06:a7
          inet addr:192.168.123.2  Bcast:192.168.123.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1

iwconfig
wlp2s0    IEEE 802.11  ESSID:off/any
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.462 GHz  Access Point: Not-Associated
          Retry short limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:on

Then i don't catch the problem.

Finally, May you share to me the configuration file that you used when you configure your PC in these experiments?

Really, thanks a lot for your time.

Best regards,

Cristian

Best,
Bastian

Re: IEEE802.11 transceiver - problems sending data

Marcus Müller-3

Hi Cristian,

assuming this is a network config issue: On modern Linuxes, it's usually not a great idea to manipulate network config using ifconfig directly – NetworkManager tends to change things automagically if it doesn't think the link is functional (sometimes, even if it is). Please make sure your card is either unmanaged by NetworkManager, or set up the device like you want it to behave, and then activate the connection with `nmcli`. I'm not quite sure this is best solved on the discuss-gnuradio mailing list – we're not really linux networking setup experts :)

Best regards,

Marcus

On 5/26/2017 10:57 AM, Marcus Müller wrote:
> Hi Cristian,
>
> assuming this is a network config issue

Me too. I think that trying to ping a local address and having it routed
over interfaces might, in theory, be possible, but hard to setup.

Try communicating with a WiFi card of another PC. Set the interface to
ad hoc mode and setup static routing and ARP entries. That's what I did
in the video. You already have the script for the SDR host. The other
hosts uses similar IP and ARP configurations (but, of course, doesn't
create the TUN/TAP device or start GNU Radio).

Best,
Bastian

> [...]

>> when you configure your PC in these experiments?*
>>
>> Really, thanks a lot for your time.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Cristian

Re: IEEE802.11 transceiver - problems sending data

Cristian Rodríguez

On 5/26/2017 10:57 AM, Marcus Müller wrote:
Hi Cristian,

assuming this is a network config issue

Me too. I think that trying to ping a local address and having it routed over interfaces might, in theory, be possible, but hard to setup.

Try communicating with a WiFi card of another PC. Set the interface to ad hoc mode and setup static routing and ARP entries. That's what I did in the video. You already have the script for the SDR host. The other hosts uses similar IP and ARP configurations (but, of course, doesn't create the TUN/TAP device or start GNU Radio).

Thanks a lot for your anwer.

I got a computer and i'm try to communicate to it. When i configure Monitor mode i can get packages.

I've tried interface ad-hoc mode

[...]

          Mode:ad-hoc  Frequency:2.462 GHz

Then i don't catch the problem.

Again, thanks a lot for your time,

On 5/26/2017 4:04 PM, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:

> **arp -a**
> ? (192.168.123.1) at 12:34:56:78:90:ab [ether] PERM on wlp2s0
>
> **route**
> Kernel IP routing table
> Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
> Iface
> 192.168.123.0   *               255.255.255.0   U 0      0        0 wlp2s0
>
> **ifconfig**
> wlp2s0    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr e0:ca:94:68:06:a7
>            inet addr:192.168.123.2 Bcast:192.168.123.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
>            UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>
> **iwconfig**
> wlp2s0    IEEE 802.11
>            Mode:ad-hoc  Frequency:2.462 GHz
>
> Then i don't catch the problem.

As I said, I would recommend to use Wireshark (at sender and receiver)
and the debug/logging output of the WiFi transceiver to see where things
go wrong.

We have no chance to debug your network config.

Best,
Bastian