Quantcast

How can I transmit and receive bit level data using the benchmark codes of gnuradio?

How can I transmit and receive bit level data using the benchmark codes of gnuradio?

Nazmul Islam
Hello,

Can I transmit and receive bit level data using the benchmark_tx and rx codes of the narrowband/OFDM folder? At present, I can transmit and receive byte level data using the codes, i.e., I can put 1500 characters (or 1500 bytes) in each packet and receive it. But I want to transmit (i.e. 0 and 1 / -1 and +1) and receive the demodulated bits (not the bytes or characters). Can I do it using the benchmark or any other codes of gnuradio?

Any suggestion will  be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nazmul

--
Muhammad Nazmul Islam

Graduate Student
Electrical & Computer Engineering
Wireless Information & Networking Laboratory
Rutgers, USA.

Re: How can I transmit and receive bit level data using the benchmark codes of gnuradio?

Alex Zhang-11
I just turn on the log and read the log files in Matlab.
The intermediate signal processing results can be written into files.
Hope it help you.

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 11:31 AM, Nazmul Islam <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

Can I transmit and receive bit level data using the benchmark_tx and rx codes of the narrowband/OFDM folder? At present, I can transmit and receive byte level data using the codes, i.e., I can put 1500 characters (or 1500 bytes) in each packet and receive it. But I want to transmit (i.e. 0 and 1 / -1 and +1) and receive the demodulated bits (not the bytes or characters). Can I do it using the benchmark or any other codes of gnuradio?

Any suggestion will  be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nazmul

--
Muhammad Nazmul Islam

Graduate Student
Electrical & Computer Engineering
Wireless Information & Networking Laboratory
Rutgers, USA.

Alex,
Dreams can come true – just believe.

Re: How can I transmit and receive bit level data using the benchmark codes of gnuradio?

Nazmul Islam
Thanks, Alex.

I tried using the log files in benchmark_rx. But the file has 200 Megabit size and Matlab could not handle it. Can you limit the size of the recorded data?

Besides, can you transmit bit level data using the benchmark_tx code? I can transmit '1', '2', 'a', etc. but I cannot transmit 1, 0. I assume that '1', '2', etc. are being transmitted as bytes. (I know that the digital_bert codes allow bit level processing but  I wonder how I can transmit 0 and 1 using the benchmark_tx and rx codes, i.e., in a packetized format).

Thanks,

Nazmul

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 3:58 PM, Alex Zhang <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I think Matlab can handle this, depending your PC memory ....You need to write some Matlab code to read the file which may contain the complex samples (gr-complex).

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 3:18 PM, Nazmul Islam <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks, Alex.

I tried using the log files in benchmark_rx. But the file has 200 Megabit size and Matlab could not handle it. Can you limit the size of the recorded data?

Maybe you can add some control to start and stop the data recording, in your python code.

Besides, can you transmit bit level data using the benchmark_tx code? I can transmit '1', '2', 'a', etc. but I cannot transmit 1, 0. I assume that '1', '2', etc. are being transmitted as bytes. (I know that the digital_bert codes allow bit level processing but  I wonder how I can transmit 0 and 1 using the benchmark_tx and rx codes, i.e., in a packetized format).

 I never tried it yet.  Why not just try to compose these bits to bytes and then feed to the physical layer? And why do you need to do that?

[...]

sumitstop
Did you get some solution Nazmul ?  I'm curious to know

Re: How can I transmit and receive bit level data using the benchmark codes of gnuradio?

Nazmul Islam
I used GRC to transmit +1 and -1. GRC allows you to transmit any integer or floating point numbers (scaled between -1 to +1).

The attached GRC file shows a simple flow-graph about this.

Thanks,

Nazmul

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 3:47 AM, sumitstop <[hidden email]> wrote:
Did you get some solution Nazmul ?  I'm curious to know

Muhammad Nazmul Islam

Graduate Student
Electrical & Computer Engineering
Wireless Information & Networking Laboratory
Rutgers, USA.

GLFSR_transmitter.grc (25K) Download Attachment