Quantcast

[GSoC] It has begun

Martin Braun (CEL)
Hi everyone,

just a quick notice concerning GSoC: It has officially begun, and the
students who were accepted have been announced.

A full list can be found here:
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org/google/gsoc2013/gnuradio

We had a huge number of proposals this year, and it was quite hard to
pick 5 students. Without going into details, we sorted all proposals by
our own grading system and waited until the number of slots was
announced, then picked the first 5.

There were certainly more than 5 fantastic proposals, and it's a bit sad
that we couldn't take more people. I would like to thank everyone for
applying.

I also want to thank all mentors for volunteering and helping with the
grading and selection of students.
Special thanks goes out to Jens, who volunteered to mentor two students.
This made it possible to simply pick the top 5 students from our list
without having to find a backup mentor or arbitrarily changing our
priority order.

A little stat on the side: An incredibly high percentage of
applications were for the LDPC codes. Why they are so much more
interesting than all the other projects remains a mystery to me, but it
seems we have some code afficionados here. Perhaps some of you are
willing to put in some time to write some other FEC code? We only have 5
GSoC slots, but that doesn't mean you can't contribute :)
Of course, that goes for all students. I do hope you are all genuinely
interested in the GNU Radio project and we will see you around.

So, the summer of code starts now! I certainly hope that we have 5
successful projects this year and 5 more contributors in the future.

MB

--
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)
Communications Engineering Lab (CEL)

Dipl.-Ing. Martin Braun
Research Associate

Kaiserstraße 12
Building 05.01
76131 Karlsruhe

Phone: +49 721 608-43790
Fax: +49 721 608-46071
www.cel.kit.edu

Re: [GSoC] It has begun

shashank gaur-2
Hello Everyone,

I am a graduate student from ECE Paris, France. I have been selected for GSoC 2013 for the project IEEE 802.11 a/g/n Rx and Wireshark Connector. I am much obliged and thankful to the community for this opportunity and hope to come up with some good results during this experience.

This project aims to provide a utility for new users of GNU Radio to access Wireshark and analyze their algorithms using it. The aim is to develop a bridge between GNU Radio and Wireshark which would result into analysis of packets. I plan to do this using already developed OFDM based IEEE 802.11 a/g/n Receiver, thanks to Univ of Innsbruck people for that. Also libpcap, a packet capture library, will be used to develop socket between GNURadio and Wireshark. For detailed proposal please visit here.

For the development of the project, I am hosting it at Google Project hosting (here). I will be setting it up completely in next few hours.

For the moment some starting soft milestones are as following:

Till this weekend: Fresh install of gnuradio and ofdm rx(univ of innsbruck). Revision of basic state of the art and intial setup phase.

Next week (3rd-9th June): Deep study of OFDM code and preparation of first document on state of the art. Defining initial objective before real coding starts. Discussion with mentors and inputs on the initial goals.

I would also start a blog which will sum up the development including major milestone screen-shots and videos, whatever may be possible.

At the end, Once again I thank the community for this opportunity and my gratitude goes to all mentors and volunteers who has been working hard for GSoC. I would be much obliged to have guidance and feedback from the community during this development phase.

Best Regards,
Shashank Gaur

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 12:47 AM, Martin Braun (CEL) <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Manu T S
Hello Everyone,

I'm Manu, a graduate student at Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay. I'm pursuing masters in Electrical Engineering specializing in Communication and Signal Processing. My proposal on LDPC codes has been accepted for GSoC. You can look into the proposal for more information.

The codes will be hosted in github repo

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 4:44 AM, Shashank Gaur <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Yasmeen, Aneela
Hello GNU Radio Community,

I am Aneela, an MS student at University of Iowa, USA. Though my MS thesis topic is about Nonlinear Control and Smart power grids; nevertheless, I enjoy doing coding for GNU Radio in my leisure time. Recently, my proposal named "Improving GNU Radio Companion (GRC)" has been accepted into GSoC'13. Therefore, I want to share my writeup with the community. You can access my proposal using below URL:
http://www.engineering.uiowa.edu/~ayasmeen/proposal.pdf

I am very thankful to GNU Radio developers for their confidence in my abilities and I will try to put my best efforts in achieving the goals of this project. It is first time that I am going to work as a developer rather than an application programmer; therefore, I am quite excited and I hope I will learn quite a bit from this exercise. Last but not the least, I will appreciate any valuable feedback from the community regarding my project.

Aneela

p.s. I haven't started writing the actual code yet, therefore, I will share the link to my github repository some time later :)

Re: [GSoC] It has begun

Perez, Tracie R
Hello all, one more introduction....

I am also a GSoC participant this summer. I'm a first year aerospace engineering graduate student at the University of Texas at Arlington. My area of research is satellite communication links, which is what lead me to GNU Radio.

Manu and I both wrote proposals for LDPC implementations, but we are going to coordinate and progress such that we are working independently, not getting in each other's way, and not implementing duplicate work.

My git repo will be here:

I'll be sending periodic status updates throughout the summer. I am very grateful for this opportunity and am looking forward to a productive summer.

Tracie Perez

On May 30, 2013, at 11:54 PM, Manu T S wrote:

[...]

Jonathon Pendlum
Hello all,

This will be an exciting summer for GNU Radio and FPGA development. My GSoC project aims to add FPGA acceleration to GNU Radio with Xilinx's Zynq FPGA. My git repo (with my proposal) is at: https://github.com/jpendlum/GnuRadio_Zynq. I will be at GNU Radio Hackfest all week and hope to get a great start on this project. Soon I will have a blog up on GitHub to track my progress.

As for my background, I am a second year PhD student in Computer Engineering at Northeastern University studying Cognitive Radio and SDR. One of my research projects, CRUSH, is available on github. Before my Northeastern studies, I graduated from Purdue University with a BS in EE and have worked for several defense companies doing FPGA design for wireless communication systems.

Good luck to all the GSoC students!

Jon

Re: [GSoC] It has begun

Michael Ossmann
On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 01:14:18AM +0200, Shashank Gaur wrote:

> The aim is to develop a bridge between GNU Radio and Wireshark which
> would result into analysis of packets.

I recommend contacting Mike Kershaw (dragorn of the Kismet project) and
Mike Ryan (known for recent work on Bluetooth Low Energy security) to
coordinate efforts.  They are actively working on a general purpose
interface for delivering real-time data from various software sources to
Wireshark.  Email me if you need their email addresses.

Mike