Quantcast

GFSK mod/demod does not work OK with wav file

GFSK mod/demod does not work OK with wav file

Fernando Peral
I'm playing with a GFSK modulator demodulator from here:

https://www.scribd.com/doc/254559988/Gaussian-Frequency-shift-Keying-With-GNU-Radio

It works fine when transmitting a cosine, but when I transmit a audio
signal (everything the same) it sounds bad, with noise and intermittent
sound.

What am I doing wrong?

regards

gfsk.grc (33K) Download Attachment
gfsk.grc.png (80K) Download Attachment

Re: GFSK mod/demod does not work OK with wav file

Ben Hilburn-4
Hi Fernando -

Are there are errors / warnings / printouts happening in your GRC log window or in your terminal? Do you see `aU` getting printed, by chance?

Also, just to be certain, your wavefile was recorded at 44.1kHz and not at something like 48kHz?

Cheers,
Ben

On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 10:14 AM, Fernando <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm playing with a GFSK modulator demodulator from here:

https://www.scribd.com/doc/254559988/Gaussian-Frequency-shift-Keying-With-GNU-Radio

It works fine when transmitting a cosine, but when I transmit a audio signal (everything the same) it sounds bad, with noise and intermittent sound.

What am I doing wrong?

regards

Re: GFSK mod/demod does not work OK with wav file

Fernando Peral
With 8 samples/symbol there was aU and CPU at 94% (I have three AMD cores)
I have reduced it to 2 s/s as suggested Cinaed, then aU dissapear and CPU is at 70%, sound is a little better but still intermittent.
File is sampled at 44100 and with direct connection from wav file source to audio sink (everything else disabled) it plays fine

regards

On 12/05/17 22:51, Ben Hilburn wrote:
Hi Fernando -

Are there are errors / warnings / printouts happening in your GRC log window or in your terminal? Do you see `aU` getting printed, by chance?

Also, just to be certain, your wavefile was recorded at 44.1kHz and not at something like 48kHz?

Cheers,
Ben

On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 10:14 AM, Fernando <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm playing with a GFSK modulator demodulator from here:

https://www.scribd.com/doc/254559988/Gaussian-Frequency-shift-Keying-With-GNU-Radio

It works fine when transmitting a cosine, but when I transmit a audio signal (everything the same) it sounds bad, with noise and intermittent sound.

What am I doing wrong?

regards

Re: GFSK mod/demod does not work OK with wav file

Cinaed Simson
On 05/14/2017 01:06 PM, Fernando wrote:
> With 8 samples/symbol there was aU and CPU at 94% (I have three AMD cores> I have reduced it to 2 s/s as suggested Cinaed, then aU dissapear and
> CPU is at 70%, sound is a little better but still intermittent.
> File is sampled at 44100 and with direct connection from wav file source
> to audio sink (everything else disabled) it plays fine

Try turning on the throttle and see what happens.

On 15/05/17 05:33, Cinaed Simson wrote:
> On 05/14/2017 01:06 PM, Fernando wrote:
>> With 8 samples/symbol there was aU and CPU at 94% (I have three AMD cores> I have reduced it to 2 s/s as suggested Cinaed, then aU dissapear and
>> CPU is at 70%, sound is a little better but still intermittent.
>> File is sampled at 44100 and with direct connection from wav file source
>> to audio sink (everything else disabled) it plays fine
> Try turning on the throttle and see what happens.

it works!!!!!!
why????  Should not be limited by the sound card?

It report a warning:
 >>> Warning: This flow graph contains a throttle block and another rate
limiting block, e.g. a hardware source or sink. This is usually
undesired. Consider removing the throttle block.

but it keeps the CPU under 40% and works fine.
Even with samples/symbol set to 8 it has go to 95% CPU but it has worked
some seconds until it has begun to show aUaU.

regards

On 05/15/2017 09:50 AM, Fernando wrote:

> On 15/05/17 05:33, Cinaed Simson wrote:
>> On 05/14/2017 01:06 PM, Fernando wrote:
>>> With 8 samples/symbol there was aU and CPU at 94% (I have three AMD
>>> cores> I have reduced it to 2 s/s as suggested Cinaed, then aU
>>> dissapear and
>>> CPU is at 70%, sound is a little better but still intermittent.
>>> File is sampled at 44100 and with direct connection from wav file source
>>> to audio sink (everything else disabled) it plays fine
>> Try turning on the throttle and see what happens.
>>

> it works!!!!!!
> why????  Should not be limited by the sound card?
>
> It report a warning:
> limiting block, e.g. a hardware source or sink. This is usually
> undesired. Consider removing the throttle block.
>
> but it keeps the CPU under 40% and works fine.
> Even with samples/symbol set to 8 it has go to 95% CPU but it has worked
> some seconds until it has begun to show aUaU.
>

> regards

Don't know. But you can't use a re-sampler because you don't know the
rate flowing into the audio card.

Try setting the sampling rate to 48 kHz, i.e. set the throttle rate to
48 kHz, and then under the properties for the audio sink, use the pull
down menu and set the audio card to 44.1 kHz. And leave the sps set to 8.

If that works, then try disabling the throttle and setting the sampling
rate of the audio card to 48 Khz - leaving the sps set to 8.

If it doesn't work try setting the sps to 2, no throttle and audio card
set to 48 KHz.

Use whatever works - but ideally without a throttle.

-- Cinaed

On 15/05/17 21:57, Cinaed Simson wrote:

> On 05/15/2017 09:50 AM, Fernando wrote:
>>> Try turning on the throttle and see what happens.
>>>

>> it works!!!!!!
>> why????  Should not be limited by the sound card?
>>
>> It report a warning:
>> limiting block, e.g. a hardware source or sink. This is usually
>> undesired. Consider removing the throttle block.
>>
>> but it keeps the CPU under 40% and works fine.
>> Even with samples/symbol set to 8 it has go to 95% CPU but it has worked
>> some seconds until it has begun to show aUaU.
>>

>> regards

> Don't know. But you can't use a re-sampler because you don't know the
> rate flowing into the audio card.
>
> Try setting the sampling rate to 48 kHz, i.e. set the throttle rate to
> 48 kHz, and then under the properties for the audio sink, use the pull
> down menu and set the audio card to 44.1 kHz. And leave the sps set to 8.
>
> If that works, then try disabling the throttle and setting the sampling
> rate of the audio card to 48 Khz - leaving the sps set to 8.
>
> If it doesn't work try setting the sps to 2, no throttle and audio card
> set to 48 KHz.
>
> Use whatever works - but ideally without a throttle.

It work both 2samples/symbol and 8s/s but only with the throtle.  (with
8s/s the system is nearly overloaded, 85-90%CPU)
With throtle and 2s/s system is 60-80% CPU but sound is intermittent.
OK, it works although I don't know why.  I'll remember trying a throtle
in other situations if something strange happen

regards

Re: GFSK mod/demod does not work OK with wav file

Marcus Müller-3
Hm, I'd call that a bug. Throttle should *not* change the behaviour of a
system. and especially, it should *not* be required in a hardware
rate-limited flow graph.

Would you be as nice as to open a bug on
https://github.com/gnuradio/gnuradio/issues ? I'd like to keep track of
this.

Best regards,

Marcus

On 17.05.2017 14:18, Fernando wrote:

> On 15/05/17 21:57, Cinaed Simson wrote:
>>>>

>>> it works!!!!!!
>>> why????  Should not be limited by the sound card?
>>>
>>> It report a warning:
>>> limiting block, e.g. a hardware source or sink. This is usually
>>> undesired. Consider removing the throttle block.
>>>
>>> but it keeps the CPU under 40% and works fine.
>>> Even with samples/symbol set to 8 it has go to 95% CPU but it has worked
>>> some seconds until it has begun to show aUaU.
>>>

>>> regards

>> Don't know. But you can't use a re-sampler because you don't know the
>> rate flowing into the audio card.
>>
>> Try setting the sampling rate to 48 kHz, i.e. set the throttle rate to
>> 48 kHz, and then under the properties for the audio sink, use the pull
>> down menu and set the audio card to 44.1 kHz. And leave the sps set to 8.
>>
>> If that works, then try disabling the throttle and setting the sampling
>> rate of the audio card to 48 Khz - leaving the sps set to 8.
>>
>> If it doesn't work try setting the sps to 2, no throttle and audio card
>> set to 48 KHz.
>>
>> Use whatever works - but ideally without a throttle.
>>
> It work both 2samples/symbol and 8s/s but only with the throtle.  (with
> 8s/s the system is nearly overloaded, 85-90%CPU)
> With throtle and 2s/s system is 60-80% CPU but sound is intermittent.
> OK, it works although I don't know why.  I'll remember trying a throtle
> in other situations if something strange happen
>
> regards

Re: GFSK mod/demod does not work OK with wav file

Fernando Peral
Done.
https://github.com/gnuradio/gnuradio/issues/1314

regards