Quantcast

Dynamic number of "message" ports using nports

Dynamic number of "message" ports using nports

Eric B
I'm using GnuRadio 3.6.5.1 and I wanted to create a block similar to stream-to-streams for messages. In the XML I used a variable and nports so I could specify the number of ports in the flowgraph. However, I've found that this does not work. Whenever I change the variable value to something greater than 1, the variable ID turns red and the number of ports displayed does not change. Simply changing the port type to something other than "message" works correctly. Does anyone have an idea how to fix this?

Re: Dynamic number of "message" ports using nports

Josh Blum-2

On 07/29/2013 08:37 AM, macbany wrote:
> I'm using GnuRadio 3.6.5.1 and I wanted to create a block similar to
> stream-to-streams for messages. In the XML I used a variable and nports so I
> could specify the number of ports in the flowgraph. However, I've found that
> this does not work. Whenever I change the variable value to something
> greater than 1, the variable ID turns red and the number of ports displayed
> does not change. Simply changing the port type to something other than
> "message" works correctly. Does anyone have an idea how to fix this?

So I think its sort of fundamental the the message ports cant be scaled
like that because they are named and not linearly indexed. You could
find a way do to it, but its a more invasive GRC change I guess. Perhaps
Martin's GSoC student might consider doing this for the GRC
improvements, if not already?

-josh

Re: Dynamic number of "message" ports using nports

Eric B
>So I think its sort of fundamental the the message ports cant be scaled
>like that because they are named and not linearly indexed. You could
>find a way do to it, but its a more invasive GRC change I guess. Perhaps
>Martin's GSoC student might consider doing this for the GRC
>improvements, if not already?
>
>-josh

Thanks for confirming my suspicion. My ultimate goal was to bury the connections inside a hierarchical block anyway so I did that and just programmatically named and connected the ports which works fine. I just can't expose the constituent blocks in GRC.