Quantcast

Documentation for out-of-tree module

Zhe Feng
Hi all,

I'm working on an out-of-tree module and I want to make the documentations which can be shown in the windows when people double click the blocks.

I guess the documentations are written in the header files in /gr-xx/include/xx. So I tried to modify the header files of blocks which already exist in gnuradio, for example, the channel_model block in gr-channel. The documentation was updated after reinstallation. It confirms my guess. But when I modify the header file of my own block in /gr-xx/include/xx, the documentation wasn't updated after reinstallation. The documentations are still something like:

make(xx, xx) -> sptr
Return a shared_ptr to a new instance of xx::xx.
To avoid accidental use of raw pointers, xx::xx constructor is in a private implementation class. xx::xx::make is the public interface for creating new instances.
Params: (xx, xx)

I searched some previous questions related to documentation on discussion-gnuradio, someone said documentations should be done by doxygen for C++ blocks and by sphinx for python blocks. But I found these are more related to these html documentations(maybe I'm wrong).

Did I miss something or do something wrong? Could anyone give me any suggestions to solve this problem?

Thanks a lot!
Best,
Zhe

Re: Documentation for out-of-tree module

Zhe Feng
Hi Nemanja,

I checked the xml files and I didn't find the "documentations". By the way, I don't see a <doc> tag in xml file.

Did I miss anything?

Thanks!
Zhe

Re: Documentation for out-of-tree module

nexy_sm
If i understood you well, you wanna see the description of ur block in GRC. In version 3.6.5.1 and previous ones I did that by writting block description under tag <doc> in xml GRC file of ur block. For example:

  <doc>
        Doceder consists of two sub blocks:
        blah blah
  </doc>

as for the missing tag <doc>, just add it.

best,
Nemanja

On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 7:07 PM, Zhe Feng <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Nemanja,

I checked the xml files and I didn't find the "documentations". By the way,
I don't see a <doc> tag in xml file.

Did I miss anything?

Thanks!
Zhe

Nemanja Savić

Re: Documentation for out-of-tree module

Zhe Feng
Hi Nemanja,

Yes, that's what I want to do.

I'm using the latest version 3.7.2. When I add the <doc> tag in the xml of a block, I found the block disappeared after reinstallation.  Is it because of different version?

Thanks!
Zhe

Re: Documentation for out-of-tree module

nexy_sm
well, maybe, i don't know. Still haven't used 3.7.
But I remember when I wanted to do the same I looked for the documentation of standard gnuradio blocks and just copied that.

Best,
Nemanja

On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 7:26 PM, Zhe Feng <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Nemanja,

Yes, that's what I want to do.

I'm using the latest version 3.7.2. When I add the <doc> tag in the xml of a
block, I found the block disappeared after reinstallation.  Is it because of
different version?

Thanks!
Zhe

Nemanja Savić

Re: Documentation for out-of-tree module

Zhe Feng
Hi Nemanja,

I just went back to version 3.6.5 and had some findings.

1) block in out-of-tree module don't have any default documentations(description) in it. In version 3.7, it has some default descriptions like:

make(xx, xx) -> sptr
Return a shared_ptr to a new instance of xx::xx.
To avoid accidental use of raw pointers, xx::xx constructor is in a private implementation class. xx::xx::make is the public interface for creating new instances.
Params: (xx, xx)

Is this how you always do?

Thanks!
Best,
Zhe

On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 6:26 PM, Zhe Feng <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Nemanja,
>
> Yes, that's what I want to do.
>
> I'm using the latest version 3.7.2. When I add the <doc> tag in the xml of a
> block, I found the block disappeared after reinstallation.  Is it because of
> different version?
>
> Thanks!
> Zhe

If the block disappears, it's usually due to a malformed line of XML.
Make sure you have closed all tags properly (</doc>).

We have to work on the scrapping of doc information from the public
header file for out-of-tree projects. In the meantime, the <doc> tag
should work for you.

Re: Documentation for out-of-tree module

Zhe Feng
Hi Nemanja,

You are right!  I didn't do the <doc> </doc> in a correct way, so it didn't work for me. With the help of Prof. Anastasopoulos, it works for me now.

Thanks for your suggestion! Really helpful!

Best,
Zhe

Re: Documentation for out-of-tree module

Zhe Feng
Hi Tom,

I found my mistake.
OK, maybe I don't have to worry about the public header file now.

Thanks!
Best,
Zhe

On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 2:06 PM, Tom Rondeau <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 6:26 PM, Zhe Feng <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Nemanja,
>
> Yes, that's what I want to do.
>
> I'm using the latest version 3.7.2. When I add the <doc> tag in the xml of a
> block, I found the block disappeared after reinstallation.  Is it because of
> different version?
>
> Thanks!
> Zhe

If the block disappears, it's usually due to a malformed line of XML.
Make sure you have closed all tags properly (</doc>).

We have to work on the scrapping of doc information from the public
header file for out-of-tree projects. In the meantime, the <doc> tag
should work for you.

Zhe Feng

Electrical Engineering: System

University of Michigan Ann Arbor

Tel: 734-834-3188

Re: Documentation for out-of-tree module

nexy_sm
Hell yeah, my first corect answer!

Cheers