Quantcast

Best way to output decoded data to user

12

Best way to output decoded data to user

Francois Gervais
Hi,

I'm trying to figure out the best way to print the decoded data information of packets (received through gnuradio) to the user. File outputs are not really user friendly so I'm thinking of using a message queue out of my decoding block connected to the WX GUI Terminal Sink.

Is this a good approach? I'm thinking it might not since I can't find any design using the terminal sink on the net.

If this is the right path could someone point me to an easy example of using the message queue. I'd like to do a quick proof of concept and output something like "hello world" on the terminal sink.

Thanks

Re: Best way to output decoded data to user

Martin Braun-2
On 04/15/2014 06:14 AM, Francois Gervais wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out the best way to print the decoded data
> information of packets (received through gnuradio) to the user. File
> outputs are not really user friendly so I'm thinking of using a message
> queue out of my decoding block connected to the WX GUI Terminal Sink.

Generally: Don't use a message queue. Also, I recommend not adding any
WX widgets, unless you hate QT, because we're trying to move away from them.

The message passing interface might be a better choice, but the idea in
general is very good.

> Is this a good approach? I'm thinking it might not since I can't find
> any design using the terminal sink on the net.
>
> If this is the right path could someone point me to an easy example of
> using the message queue. I'd like to do a quick proof of concept and
> output something like "hello world" on the terminal sink.

Have a look at the message_debug code. It does most of what you want,
but not in a widget, just on the console.

Martin

Re: Best way to output decoded data to user

猪猪猪猪猪猪头

hi ,Martin Braun
well ,in my impression, the unit of is noisy is dB,so i feel fuzzy about the volt,
thanks for your reply!

From:  "Martin Braun";<[hidden email]>;
Date:  Tue, Apr 15, 2014 04:35 PM
To:  "discuss-gnuradio"<[hidden email]>;
Subject:  Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Best way to output decoded data to user

On 04/15/2014 06:14 AM, Francois Gervais wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out the best way to print the decoded data
> information of packets (received through gnuradio) to the user. File
> outputs are not really user friendly so I'm thinking of using a message
> queue out of my decoding block connected to the WX GUI Terminal Sink.

Generally: Don't use a message queue. Also, I recommend not adding any
WX widgets, unless you hate QT, because we're trying to move away from them.

The message passing interface might be a better choice, but the idea in
general is very good.

> Is this a good approach? I'm thinking it might not since I can't find
> any design using the terminal sink on the net.
>
> If this is the right path could someone point me to an easy example of
> using the message queue. I'd like to do a quick proof of concept and
> output something like "hello world" on the terminal sink.

Have a look at the message_debug code. It does most of what you want,
but not in a widget, just on the console.

Martin

Re: Best way to output decoded data to user

Tim O'Shea
check out gr-pyqt - this might be roughly what you are looking for
I've added some very simple python blocks which can send and receiver
pdus with strings stored in pmt u8vectors and can be easily dropped into
a Qt Gui for user interaction

https://github.com/osh/gr-pyqt/commit/7b12b79bc029d483ce71878960b24871ddbfd954

-Tim

On 04/15/2014 04:35 AM, Martin Braun wrote:

> On 04/15/2014 06:14 AM, Francois Gervais wrote:
>> I'm trying to figure out the best way to print the decoded data
>> information of packets (received through gnuradio) to the user. File
>> outputs are not really user friendly so I'm thinking of using a message
>> queue out of my decoding block connected to the WX GUI Terminal Sink.
> Generally: Don't use a message queue. Also, I recommend not adding any
> WX widgets, unless you hate QT, because we're trying to move away from them.
>
> The message passing interface might be a better choice, but the idea in
> general is very good.
>
>> Is this a good approach? I'm thinking it might not since I can't find
>> any design using the terminal sink on the net.
>>
>> If this is the right path could someone point me to an easy example of
>> using the message queue. I'd like to do a quick proof of concept and
>> output something like "hello world" on the terminal sink.
> Have a look at the message_debug code. It does most of what you want,
> but not in a widget, just on the console.
>
> Martin

Re: Best way to output decoded data to user

Francois Gervais
Ah so message queue and message passing interface are two different things in gnuradio? Might be why I was confused. So what I want to look at is this page right?

Got it I'll for the WX widgets, I'll stop using them. Is there an official QT terminal block?

I'll take a look at pyqt but I'd prefer using official blocks if possible.

On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 9:21 AM, Tim <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

activecat

On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 4:35 PM, Martin Braun <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 04/15/2014 06:14 AM, Francois Gervais wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out the best way to print the decoded data
> information of packets (received through gnuradio) to the user. File
> outputs are not really user friendly so I'm thinking of using a message
> queue out of my decoding block connected to the WX GUI Terminal Sink.

Generally: Don't use a message queue. Also, I recommend not adding any
WX widgets, unless you hate QT, because we're trying to move away from them.

Moving away from wxWidgets?  Then replace it with what?

Re: Best way to output decoded data to user

Marcus Müller

On 04/15/2014 03:55 PM, Francois Gervais wrote:
> Ah so message queue and message passing interface are two different
> things in gnuradio? Might be why I was confused. So what I want to look
> at is this page right?
> http://gnuradio.org/doc/doxygen/page_msg_passing.html

Right.

> Got it I'll for the WX widgets, I'll stop using them. Is there an
> official QT terminal block?

Not yet :) If you want to get your hands dirty, that would be nice...

Martin

WX Widgets (Was: Best way to output decoded data to user)

Martin Braun-2
On 04/15/2014 04:32 PM, Marcus Müller wrote:
> QT, like Martin was saying :)

Right. We've discussed this on several dev calls, not sure if here on
the list.
In the far future, we want to focus on QT (for less dependencies etc.).
We (or rather, Tom for the most part) have been porting all features of
WX to QT the last few months, and on the current master, there's pretty
much nothing you can't do with QT you could with WX.

But don't worry, WX widgets will be around for a while, but we won't be
adding functionality, and will be officially marking them deprecated
them (most likely) in 3.8. *Maybe* they will go away in 3.9, but that's
a long way ahead, nothing definitive decided here.

Martin

Re: WX Widgets (Was: Best way to output decoded data to user)

Marcus D. Leech
On 04/15/2014 12:08 PM, Martin Braun wrote:

> On 04/15/2014 04:32 PM, Marcus Müller wrote:
>> QT, like Martin was saying :)
> Right. We've discussed this on several dev calls, not sure if here on
> the list.
> In the far future, we want to focus on QT (for less dependencies etc.).
> We (or rather, Tom for the most part) have been porting all features of
> WX to QT the last few months, and on the current master, there's pretty
> much nothing you can't do with QT you could with WX.
>
> But don't worry, WX widgets will be around for a while, but we won't be
> adding functionality, and will be officially marking them deprecated
> them (most likely) in 3.8. *Maybe* they will go away in 3.9, but that's
> a long way ahead, nothing definitive decided here.
>
> Martin
If you thought the 3.6 to 3.7 transition was hard for people, doing a
transition where the WX widgets are no longer available will be
   even harder, by a significant amount.

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator

On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 12:03 PM, Martin Braun <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 04/15/2014 03:55 PM, Francois Gervais wrote:
> Ah so message queue and message passing interface are two different
> things in gnuradio? Might be why I was confused. So what I want to look
> at is this page right?
> http://gnuradio.org/doc/doxygen/page_msg_passing.html

Right.

> Got it I'll for the WX widgets, I'll stop using them. Is there an
> official QT terminal block?

Not yet :) If you want to get your hands dirty, that would be nice...

Martin

Someone actually uses the terminal block? That one in WX has always felt completely broken to me and I had no interest in duplicating it in QT. But hey, if it's being used, it's something we would like to have.

On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 12:11 PM, Marcus D. Leech <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Which is why the WX widgets will stay around for a long time. (Longer than I'd want, I'm sure.)

Re: Best way to output decoded data to user

Francois Gervais
Well I'm thinking if I'm about to print text to user it's better if it's part of the GUI than having some of the information on the GUI and some on the underneath console. That way it looks more like a self contained app to me.

On 04/15/2014 06:14 PM, Tom Rondeau wrote:

>     If you thought the 3.6 to 3.7 transition was hard for people, doing
>     a transition where the WX widgets are no longer available will be
>       even harder, by a significant amount.
>
>     --
>     Marcus Leech
>     Principal Investigator
>     Shirleys Bay Radio Astronomy Consortium
>     http://www.sbrac.org
>

> Which is why the WX widgets will stay around for a long time. (Longer
> than I'd want, I'm sure.)

Yes, we'll make it as gentle as possible.
Also, there's no reason for the WX widgets not to become an OOT. This
would make the transition even easier, and we might even be able to
provide a script to convert flow graphs to using the OOT with a couple
of seds.

Martin

Re: WX Widgets (Was: Best way to output decoded data to user)

Michael Ossmann
On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 06:08:45PM +0200, Martin Braun wrote:

> But don't worry, WX widgets will be around for a while, but we won't
> be adding functionality, and will be officially marking them
> deprecated them (most likely) in 3.8. *Maybe* they will go away in
> 3.9, but that's a long way ahead, nothing definitive decided here.

That is good to know.  I use WX widgets in my class, including a video
series I'll be publishing shortly, because they are the default in GRC
and because of a few features of the instrumentation sinks.  Also
stability.

Mike

On 04/15/2014 06:18 PM, Francois Gervais wrote:
> Well I'm thinking if I'm about to print text to user it's better if it's
> part of the GUI than having some of the information on the GUI and some
> on the underneath console. That way it looks more like a self contained
> app to me.

And you're right. But maybe a 'terminal' sink isn't what we want, but
rather a graphical tag/message debug/dump block?

Martin

Re: Best way to output decoded data to user

Tom Rondeau-2
On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 12:21 PM, Martin Braun <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 04/15/2014 06:18 PM, Francois Gervais wrote:
> Well I'm thinking if I'm about to print text to user it's better if it's
> part of the GUI than having some of the information on the GUI and some
> on the underneath console. That way it looks more like a self contained
> app to me.

And you're right. But maybe a 'terminal' sink isn't what we want, but
rather a graphical tag/message debug/dump block?

Martin

Yeah, that sounds better to me. Or just a multi-line text box as a gui widget. It shouldn't be difficult for someone to take the QT Number Sink block and convert that to a multiline text output (and remote the QwtThermo widget). Have the number of lines be a constructor parameter and be able to resize it at runtime.

Re: Best way to output decoded data to user

Francois Gervais
In this scenario would the message passing interface be the best input type?

On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 12:50 PM, Tom Rondeau <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 12:21 PM, Martin Braun <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 04/15/2014 06:18 PM, Francois Gervais wrote:
> Well I'm thinking if I'm about to print text to user it's better if it's
> part of the GUI than having some of the information on the GUI and some
> on the underneath console. That way it looks more like a self contained
> app to me.

And you're right. But maybe a 'terminal' sink isn't what we want, but
rather a graphical tag/message debug/dump block?

Martin

Yeah, that sounds better to me. Or just a multi-line text box as a gui widget. It shouldn't be difficult for someone to take the QT Number Sink block and convert that to a multiline text output (and remote the QwtThermo widget). Have the number of lines be a constructor parameter and be able to resize it at runtime.

Re: Best way to output decoded data to user

madengr
Martin Braun-2 wrote
Generally: Don't use a message queue. Also, I recommend not adding any
WX widgets, unless you hate QT, because we're trying to move away from them.

The message passing interface might be a better choice, but the idea in
general is very good.

Martin
Is there a reason not to use the message queue; maybe it is being deprecated?  I'm experimenting with it now to pass FFT vectors out of the flow into my python script to search for a frequency and tune demodulator, and I can poll the queue every 10ms with no issues.  Should I be using another method?  I don't want to write a block just yet.

Thanks,
Lou
KD4HSO

Re: Best way to output decoded data to user

Volker Schroer
On github
https://github.com/dl1ksv/gr-display
there is an qt based simple oot module gr-display that can be used to
display character streams either in an text window or as png picture.
I use this to display ax.25 packets images from weather satellites.

-- Volker

Am 15.04.2014 23:36, schrieb madengr:

> Martin Braun-2 wrote
>> Generally: Don't use a message queue. Also, I recommend not adding any
>> WX widgets, unless you hate QT, because we're trying to move away from
>> them.
>>
>> The message passing interface might be a better choice, but the idea in
>> general is very good.
>>
>> Martin
>
> Is there a reason not to use the message queue; maybe it is being
> deprecated?  I'm experimenting with it now to pass FFT vectors out of the
> flow into my python script to search for a frequency and tune demodulator,
> and I can poll the queue every 10ms with no issues.  Should I be using
> another method?  I don't want to write a block just yet.
>
> Thanks,
> Lou
> KD4HSO

12