Quantcast

BBN 80211b Transmitter with GNURadio 3.2.2 and USRP1

BBN 80211b Transmitter with GNURadio 3.2.2 and USRP1

Smith L.
Hello all,

I am trying to use bbn 80211b transmitter code (douggeiger version from cgran website) with GNU Radio 3.2.2 with USRP1. However, it seems like the Tx code has not been modified completely to work with hier_block2 APIs. I tried to make changes on my own and ended up with an error that I do not know how to solve?
I am having a Itemsize mismatch error for message source and bbn_80211_bb_mod.

I am using Ubuntu 8.04, Gnuradio 3.2.2, Python 2.6 and USRP1s. I looked up the mailing list and I found very little information for Tx code as everybody seems to be working on the receiver code.

Does any one have a working copy of bbn_80211b_tx.py of douggeiger version that works with GNURadio 3.2.2 and USRP1.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Smith

Re: BBN 80211b Transmitter with GNURadio 3.2.2 and USRP1

Douglas Geiger-2
 You probably want to take a look at the usrp2_version branch to see
how to get the transmit code working with the hier_block2 API, and
then modify it to work with the USRP1. Two things: you cannot transmit
the 802.11b waveform through the USRP1 (you don't have enough
bandwidth - in the original code base I believe they simply skipped
the DSSS step, and transmitted the pulse-shaped DPSK-modulated
signal), also I believe the usrp2_version branch transmit code fixed
some of the bugs in the original transmit code (i.e. using a USRP2,
the transmit code could send a standard-compliant waveform).
 Doug

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 12:47 PM, Smith L. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am trying to use bbn 80211b transmitter code (douggeiger version from
> cgran website) with GNU Radio 3.2.2 with USRP1. However, it seems like the
> Tx code has not been modified completely to work with hier_block2 APIs. I
> tried to make changes on my own and ended up with an error that I do not
> know how to solve?
> I am having a Itemsize mismatch error for message source and
> bbn_80211_bb_mod.
>
> I am using Ubuntu 8.04, Gnuradio 3.2.2, Python 2.6 and USRP1s. I looked up
> the mailing list and I found very little information for Tx code as
> everybody seems to be working on the receiver code.
>
> Does any one have a working copy of bbn_80211b_tx.py of douggeiger version
> that works with GNURadio 3.2.2 and USRP1.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Smith

Doug Geiger

Re: BBN 80211b Transmitter with GNURadio 3.2.2 and USRP1

Smith L.
Thanks for the help, Doug.

I do have two USRP2s and hence was also working on the usrp2_version code. I have both the transmitter and receiver code individually working correctly with USRP2. However, the receiver is not able to receive the packets correctly from the transmitter (i.e in case of USRP2). I always get bad CRC message.

I have looked up the forum and everybody seem to stuck with the same problem. Is there any work around to solve this problem?

From the forum discussion, it seems that one of the issues is the preamble.

Any idea how to make synchronize the receiver so that it can receive the packets from USRP2 transmitter using bbn code.

Thanks,
Smith
Douglas Geiger-2 wrote

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 12:47 PM, Smith L. <kushal.23787@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am trying to use bbn 80211b transmitter code (douggeiger version from
> cgran website) with GNU Radio 3.2.2 with USRP1. However, it seems like the
> Tx code has not been modified completely to work with hier_block2 APIs. I
> tried to make changes on my own and ended up with an error that I do not
> know how to solve?
> I am having a Itemsize mismatch error for message source and
> bbn_80211_bb_mod.
>
> I am using Ubuntu 8.04, Gnuradio 3.2.2, Python 2.6 and USRP1s. I looked up
> the mailing list and I found very little information for Tx code as
> everybody seems to be working on the receiver code.
>
> Does any one have a working copy of bbn_80211b_tx.py of douggeiger version
> that works with GNURadio 3.2.2 and USRP1.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Smith

Doug Geiger
doug.geiger@bioradiation.net

Re: BBN 80211b Transmitter with GNURadio 3.2.2 and USRP1

George Nychis-2

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 3:14 PM, Smith L. <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks for the help, Doug.

I do have two USRP2s and hence was also working on the usrp2_version code. I
have both the transmitter and receiver code individually working correctly
with USRP2. However, the receiver is not able to receive the packets
correctly from the transmitter (i.e in case of USRP2). I always get bad CRC
message.

I have looked up the forum and everybody seem to stuck with the same
problem. Is there any work around to solve this problem?

From the forum discussion, it seems that one of the issues is the preamble.

Any idea how to make synchronize the receiver so that it can receive the
packets from USRP2 transmitter using bbn code.

I struggled with this for quite a while.  I never understood exactly where a standard card was not able to decode it.  Large frequency offset maybe?  I never got a single packet through.

Can I suggest something?  Try out this 802.11 project:
https://www.cgran.org/wiki/ftw80211ofdmtx

They definitely claim that a standard NIC can decode the packets, but I never personally got around to trying it.  The code seemed pretty clean, and I was able to use it to generate proper packet signatures... so the modulation is definitely correct.

- George

Re: BBN 80211b Transmitter with GNURadio 3.2.2 and USRP1

Colby Boyer-2
Cool to hear about the OFDM 802.11 project.

When I was working with the USRP2 version, I was only able to get two USRP2s to talk to each other. I can't remember if I was able to get it to decode packets from a chipset, that was a year ago.....

I do remember that sometime ago, there was further discussion on getting the spreading waveform correct since it was not matching the 802.11 roll off specs. My first guess is to check the match filter being used (if you can capture the chipset's waveform).

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 1:08 PM, George Nychis <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 3:14 PM, Smith L. <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks for the help, Doug.

I do have two USRP2s and hence was also working on the usrp2_version code. I
have both the transmitter and receiver code individually working correctly
with USRP2. However, the receiver is not able to receive the packets
correctly from the transmitter (i.e in case of USRP2). I always get bad CRC
message.

I have looked up the forum and everybody seem to stuck with the same
problem. Is there any work around to solve this problem?

From the forum discussion, it seems that one of the issues is the preamble.

Any idea how to make synchronize the receiver so that it can receive the
packets from USRP2 transmitter using bbn code.

I struggled with this for quite a while.  I never understood exactly where a standard card was not able to decode it.  Large frequency offset maybe?  I never got a single packet through.

Can I suggest something?  Try out this 802.11 project:
https://www.cgran.org/wiki/ftw80211ofdmtx

They definitely claim that a standard NIC can decode the packets, but I never personally got around to trying it.  The code seemed pretty clean, and I was able to use it to generate proper packet signatures... so the modulation is definitely correct.

- George

Re: BBN 80211b Transmitter with GNURadio 3.2.2 and USRP1

Smith L.
Hi Colby,

Were you able to communicate between two USRP2s using bbn 80211 usrp2_version code?

I am not able to receive packets using USRP2 receiver even when other USRP2 is transmitting. Can you please let me know if there are any changes required to be made in the usrp2_version code or any specific command line parameters to make this work (i.e. to receive 80211b packets with USRP2 with another USRP2 transmitting).

Currently, I can only receive beacons from nearby access points using USRP2.

Any input on this issue is appreciated.

Thanks,
Smith

Colby Boyer-2 wrote

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 9:29 PM, Smith L. <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Colby,

Were you able to communicate between two USRP2s using bbn 80211
usrp2_version code?

I am not able to receive packets using USRP2 receiver even when other USRP2
is transmitting. Can you please let me know if there are any changes
required to be made in the usrp2_version code or any specific command line
parameters to make this work (i.e. to receive 80211b packets with USRP2 with
another USRP2 transmitting).

Currently, I can only receive beacons from nearby access points using USRP2.

Not an answer to your questions... but another project to suggest:
https://www.cgran.org/wiki/SPAN80211b

They had pretty good luck at receiving 802.11b transmissions on USRP1 by putting the despreading in the FPGA.  No transmit code though from what I remember.

- George

Re: BBN 80211b Transmitter with GNURadio 3.2.2 and USRP1

Smith L.
Thanks George for your inputs.

I have closely been monitoring cgran website. However, every project seems to be focusing on how well one can use USRP1 or USRP2 as 80211b receiver. But my goal is to communicate between two USRPs (whether USRP1s or USRP2s) using bbn 80211b code.

From the previous discussions on this forum, it seems that quite a few people were able to communicate and decode packets correctly using two USRP2s and usrp2_version bbn 80211b code. I am trying to know whether the usrp2_version code needs any modification or specific command line arguments.

gnychis wrote

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 11:08 PM, Smith L. <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks George for your inputs.

I have closely been monitoring cgran website. However, every project seems
to be focusing on how well one can use USRP1 or USRP2 as 80211b receiver.
But my goal is to communicate between two USRPs (whether USRP1s or USRP2s)
using bbn 80211b code.

From the previous discussions on this forum, it seems that quite a few
people were able to communicate and decode packets correctly using two
USRP2s and usrp2_version bbn 80211b code. I am trying to know whether the
usrp2_version code needs any modification or specific command line
arguments.

No problem!  Maybe check the date/time of a post to the board in which someone reported success and try to grab a version from SVN relevant to that timestamp.  Maybe something changed in between breaking something.  I have two USRP2s hooked up, I can try the code out myself tomorrow.

- George

Re: BBN 80211b Transmitter with GNURadio 3.2.2 and USRP1

Colby Boyer-2
I do not remember specifically what I used at the command line to get the two USRP2s to talk to each other. I know I had it working for 1 and 2 Mbps. I think something must be messed up with the spreading sequence. George, wasn't there a discussion on that sometime ago? I remember there were plots being exchanged on the mail list.

It was on a project I worked on a year ago so its a little foggy.

Sorta random, the guy who wrote a lot of the SPAN code ended up in the same lab I'm in now.

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 8:27 PM, George Nychis <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 11:08 PM, Smith L. <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks George for your inputs.

I have closely been monitoring cgran website. However, every project seems
to be focusing on how well one can use USRP1 or USRP2 as 80211b receiver.
But my goal is to communicate between two USRPs (whether USRP1s or USRP2s)
using bbn 80211b code.

From the previous discussions on this forum, it seems that quite a few
people were able to communicate and decode packets correctly using two
USRP2s and usrp2_version bbn 80211b code. I am trying to know whether the
usrp2_version code needs any modification or specific command line
arguments.

No problem!  Maybe check the date/time of a post to the board in which someone reported success and try to grab a version from SVN relevant to that timestamp.  Maybe something changed in between breaking something.  I have two USRP2s hooked up, I can try the code out myself tomorrow.

- George

Re: BBN 80211b Transmitter with GNURadio 3.2.2 and USRP1

Smith L.
Hi George,

Were you able to test the usrp2_version code with two USRP2s?

Let me know if you were able to successfully transmit 80211b packets from one USRP2 to another.

Thanks,
Smith

gnychis wrote

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 1:06 PM, Smith L. <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi George,

Were you able to test the usrp2_version code with two USRP2s?

Let me know if you were able to successfully transmit 80211b packets from
one USRP2 to another.

were you able to build the usrp2 branch successfully with the newest version of GNU Radio and Ubuntu?  I am failing with a lot of errors with the newest version of git and Ubuntu 10.04

In file included from bbn_tap.h:39,
                 from bbn.cc:3840:
/usr/local/include/gnuradio/omnithread.h:139:2: error: #error "No implementation header file"
/usr/local/include/gnuradio/omnithread.h:154:2: error: #error "Implementation header file incomplete"
In file included from bbn_tap.h:39,
                 from bbn.cc:3840:
/usr/local/include/gnuradio/omnithread.h:208: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘OMNI_MUTEX_IMPLEMENTATION’ with no type
/usr/local/include/gnuradio/omnithread.h:209: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘}’ token
/usr/local/include/gnuradio/omnithread.h:209: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘}’ token
/usr/local/include/gnuradio/omnithread.h: In member function ‘void omni_mutex::lock()’:
/usr/local/include/gnuradio/omnithread.h:189: error: ‘OMNI_MUTEX_LOCK_IMPLEMENTATION’ was not declared in this scope
/usr/local/include/gnuradio/omnithread.h:189: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘}’ token
/usr/local/include/gnuradio/omnithread.h: In member function ‘void omni_mutex::unlock()’:
/usr/local/include/gnuradio/omnithread.h:190: error: ‘OMNI_MUTEX_UNLOCK_IMPLEMENTATION’ was not declared in this scope
/usr/local/include/gnuradio/omnithread.h:190: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘}’ token
/usr/local/include/gnuradio/omnithread.h: In member function ‘int omni_mutex::trylock()’:
/usr/local/include/gnuradio/omnithread.h:191: error: ‘OMNI_MUTEX_TRYLOCK_IMPLEMENTATION’ was not declared in this scope
/usr/local/include/gnuradio/omnithread.h:191: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘}’ token
/usr/local/include/gnuradio/omnithread.h: At global scope:
/usr/local/include/gnuradio/omnithread.h:288: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘OMNI_CONDITION_IMPLEMENTATION’ with no type
/usr/local/include/gnuradio/omnithread.h:289: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘}’ token
/usr/local/include/gnuradio/omnithread.h:289: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘}’ token
/usr/local/include/gnuradio/omnithread.h:323: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘OMNI_SEMAPHORE_IMPLEMENTATION’ with no type
/usr/local/include/gnuradio/omnithread.h:324: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘}’ token
/usr/local/include/gnuradio/omnithread.h:324: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘}’ token
/usr/local/include/gnuradio/omnithread.h:613: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘OMNI_THREAD_IMPLEMENTATION’ with no type
/usr/local/include/gnuradio/omnithread.h:614: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘}’ token
/usr/local/include/gnuradio/omnithread.h:614: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘}’ token
In file included from bbn.cc:3844:
bbn_plcp80211_bb.h:62: warning: ‘typedef’ was ignored in this declaration

Re: BBN 80211b Transmitter with GNURadio 3.2.2 and USRP1

Smith L.
Hi George,

I am using Ubuntu 8.04 and GNU Radio version is 3.3git-602-gfcf9efa7. I do not know about Ubuntu but a lot of changes were made to git after I checked out this version. If you have older versions of git then it may help you to build usrp2 bbn code.
gnychis wrote
On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 1:06 PM, Smith L. <kushal.23787@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

/usr/local/include/gnuradio/omnithread.h:323: error: ISO C++ forbids
declaration of ‘OMNI_SEMAPHORE_IMPLEMENTATION’ with no type
/usr/local/include/gnuradio/omnithread.h:324: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘}’
token
/usr/local/include/gnuradio/omnithread.h:324: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘}’
token
/usr/local/include/gnuradio/omnithread.h:613: error: ISO C++ forbids
declaration of ‘OMNI_THREAD_IMPLEMENTATION’ with no type
/usr/local/include/gnuradio/omnithread.h:614: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘}’
token
/usr/local/include/gnuradio/omnithread.h:614: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘}’
token
In file included from bbn.cc:3844:
bbn_plcp80211_bb.h:62: warning: ‘typedef’ was ignored in this declaration

Re: BBN 80211b Transmitter with GNURadio 3.2.2 and USRP1

George,
 The latest versions of GNUradio no longer use omnithreads - I believe everything the used them has switched over to using boost threads. I'm not sure what portions of the BBN code use threads (I suspect there is a watcher thread checking the message queue from the PLCP for received packets), but they probably need to be changed to either use boost::threads directly, or if gruel supplies a wrapper, use that. Hopefully the required changes are minimal.
 If I get a chance next week, I can take a look and see what it takes to build on my machine.
 Doug

On 5/21/10 4:37 PM, George Nychis wrote:

[...]

_______________________________________________ Discuss-gnuradio mailing list [hidden email] http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss-gnuradio

Re: BBN 80211b Transmitter with GNURadio 3.2.2 and USRP1

Rahman Doost
Hi Smith,

Did you manage to receive with USRP2? I'm kinda stuck with the same problem (Tx/Rx with 2 USRP2s). 'bbn_80211b_rx' does not receive what I'm transmitting with 'bbn_80211b_tx'.

Thanks,
Rahman

gnychis wrote:

> [...]
> ‘}’
> token
> /usr/local/include/gnuradio/omnithread.h:324: error: expected ‘;’ before
> ‘}’
> token
> /usr/local/include/gnuradio/omnithread.h:613: error: ISO C++ forbids
> declaration of ‘OMNI_THREAD_IMPLEMENTATION’ with no type
> /usr/local/include/gnuradio/omnithread.h:614: error: expected ‘;’ before
> ‘}’
> token
> /usr/local/include/gnuradio/omnithread.h:614: error: expected ‘;’ before
> ‘}’
> token
> In file included from bbn.cc:3844:
> bbn_plcp80211_bb.h:62: warning: ‘typedef’ was ignored in this declaration

Re: BBN 80211b Transmitter with GNURadio 3.2.2 and USRP1

Hi Rahman,

No, I have not been able to receive from USRP2 as a transmitter but I have been able to successfully receive packets from a nearby access point.

Thanks,
Smith

Rahman Doost wrote

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 6:19 PM, Smith L. <kushal.23787@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > ‘}’
> > token
> > /usr/local/include/gnuradio/omnithread.h:324: error: expected ‘;’ before
> > ‘}’
> > token
> > /usr/local/include/gnuradio/omnithread.h:613: error: ISO C++ forbids
> > declaration of ‘OMNI_THREAD_IMPLEMENTATION’ with no type
> > /usr/local/include/gnuradio/omnithread.h:614: error: expected ‘;’ before
> > ‘}’
> > token
> > /usr/local/include/gnuradio/omnithread.h:614: error: expected ‘;’ before
> > ‘}’
> > token
> > In file included from bbn.cc:3844:
> > bbn_plcp80211_bb.h:62: warning: ‘typedef’ was ignored in this declaration

Re: BBN 80211b Transmitter with GNURadio 3.2.2 and USRP1

KexiongZeng
Hi,

I am using the command ./bbn_80211b_rx.py -d 8 -f 2.412G -b to catch 802.11 1 Mbps packets from access points. However, the result is always BAD CRC. I know that some people on this list did it successfully.

I am using the bbn_8021/branches/usrp2_version and working with a USRP2.

Can anybody help?

Many thanks!